St Philip's Theological College is the product of CMS missionaries who came and planted the Church in East Africa back in 1876 in Mpwapwa area. In 1899 the Church was planted in Kongwa and small congregations were starting up throughout the area as revival spread, but how to bring these young Christians to spiritual maturity posed a problem. Missionaries could only visit the scattered churches once or twice a year. Because of that, missionary started some training to Local church leaders providing them with some initial training which equipped them for the role of evangelists. As the work grow they came to realization the church needs more local lay leaders and African clergy who will have to be trained to minister to the needs of the growing congregations. After much prayerful discussion the decision was made to minister to the needs of the growing congregations.
Due to its reliable reputation, St Philips has for many years been receiving students from other denominations such as the Lutheran and Moravian churches and even from neighboring countries such as Kenya, Rwanda and Congo (DRC); and therefore has managed to train hundreds of men and women for Christian Leadership. Over the years St. Philip?s has seen many changes to staff, buildings and syllabus but the emphasis remains the same: to equip men and women for the task of serving the Christian Church in East Africa. Apart from the diversity in the dioceses represented in both staff and students who come from different denominations. The College has also been a diverse representation of nationalities from abroad.
Please read more about our history in a our kindle book available in the following link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Kongwa-Centenary-Theological-Tanzania-ebook/dp/B00NCQHC3C